- Offered as:
Sport science, or kinesiology, is the study of how human muscles and other bodily systems work, develop, and interact. The field includes studies in anatomy, motor learning, motor control, sport and exercise psychology, motor development, health and wellness, and biomechanics.
- Strengths of the program
- Students can enhance their learning through WSU's excellent facilities including gyms, pools, tracks, weight rooms, research labs, and one of the nation's biggest and best student recreation centers.
- Students can teach WSU recreation courses.
- State-of-the-art laboratories offer students opportunties to conduct reearch with faculty members.
- Practical, hands-on experiences are available throughout the program.
- Requirements and core courses
Bachelor of science in kinesiology with a major in sport science
The sport science major incorporates the science of kinesiology, the psychological and ethical aspects of sport and exercise, and plenty of hands-on experience.
Here is a sample of the core courses you will most likely take:
Psychological Aspects of Human Movement
Physiology of Exercise
Motor Skill Acquisition
Exercise Prescription and Medical Conditions
Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries
Philosophy of Human Movement
Sociology of Sport
The program also includes practicum and internship requirements, which offer many different ways to put your knowledge to use and gain real-world experience.
See the WSU Catalog and talk with an advisor about planning your courses. All students must meet requirements as outlined in the General Catalog in order to graduate.
- Scholarships and financial aid
A variety of state, federal, and university-sponsored programs are available to help students with educational costs.
For all students at WSU
Washington State University awards millions of dollars in financial aid and scholarships to students every year based on financial need, academic merit, or a combination of the two.
To get all the financial help WSU can provide, start by doing these two things:
- Complete the University's general scholarship application so you can be eligible for scholarship consideration.
- Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) so WSU can consider you for aid (scholarships, grants, loans, etc.) based on financial need.
For students in sports science
The College of Education offers dozens of scholarships to its students. For more information about scholarships available through the College of Education, call 509-335-1738 or email email@example.com.
- Careers in sport science
Career possibilities in sport science include work in recreation, exercise, and sport programs for youth, older adults, or other groups. Other settings include corporate health programs, health clubs, clinical and industrial health care programs, and wellness education programs.
With additional study, students with undergraduate degrees in sport science can become physical or occupational therapists, doctors, nurses, sport psychologists, researchers, or chiropractors.